harvesting RNA from Silique tissue

Dave Yoder yoderda at pilot.msu.edu
Fri Dec 13 10:34:57 EST 2002

I have been using Qiagen's Plant RNeasy columns to extract total RNA from 8-10
day old plate grown Arabidopsis shoots.  I have not specifically tried to
isolate total RNA from silique tissue.  Hovever, in a Northern blot comparison
between total RNA isolated using RNeasy columns and TRIzol method, the RNeasy
method gives me consistant RNA yeilds of 2-3.5 ug/ul with no degradation.  The
total RNA isolated using TRIzol was almost completely degraded.  I
would suggest
that you try the Qiagen Plant RNeasy kit as it is what other labs here at MSU
are using to prepare total RNA for microarray analysis.

Dr. David Yoder
Department of Plant Biology
166 Plant Biology Building
Michigan State University