pGreen discussion group

Jonathan Rees jonathan.rees at plant-sciences.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Feb 5 06:06:18 EST 2002

Dear Collegues,

This announcement is aimed at people involved in Plant Transformation
- please disregard otherwise.

pGreen is a small (<5kb) binary PLANT transformation and expression
vector that allows users to routinely subclone without the problems
of the larger pBin series by virtue of a 10kb helper plasmid (pSoup)
which carries several of the required functions.  Please see the
reference below:

Roger P. Hellens, E. Anne Edwards, Nicola R. Leyland, Samantha Bean
and Philip M. Mullineaux (2000) "pGreen: a versatile and flexible
binary Ti vector for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation",
Plant Mol. Bio. 42: 819-832.
Also see http://www.pgreen.ac.uk/ for more details of the plasmid.

It has come to my attention and has been my experience that while
high transformation efficiencies may be routine with pBin series
vectors using the simple floral dipping method, a number of users
have not experienced the same or consistent success with the pGreen
system.  I have set up a Bulletin Board specifically to discuss the
use of pGreen, problems with pGreen, and improvements to protocols
involving handling of pGreen especially with regard to Arabidopsis
transformation.  The board is freely available at:

http://pluto.beseen.com/boardroom/n/58644/

In short, the aim of the bulletin board is to come up with a
'never-fail' optimized protocol to allow the routine use of this
plasmid and its increasing number of derivatives with first-time
success.

I have started off the proceedings with a comment about the safe use
of the tetracycline resistance gene in Agrobacterium, and how NOT to
use it with Agrobacterium C58 derived strains.

I hope to collate everyone's input and repost a link to a summary of
what people thought.  {The board is hosted on a free-site, so
apologies in advance for the nasty adverts!  It has been set up in
the absence of any equivalent discussion group}

best regards,

Dr Jonathan Rees

PS. I am a pGreen user, or 'pGreener', and I have nothing whatsoever
to do with the plasmid's development!