Graduate Student Assistantship - Evolution of Plant Disease

John Jelesko jelesko at
Tue Feb 5 16:49:11 EST 2002

Graduate Student Assistantship, Evolution of Plant Disease Resistance
Genes by Meiotic Unequal Crossing-over, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA.

  A position is available in the summer or fall of 2002 for a Ph.D.
student who is interested in using Arabidopsis to understand how
plant disease resistance gene (R gene) clusters evolve by unequal
crossing-over to form chimeric R genes with new/altered pathogen
resistance specificities.  This is a joint research program by John
and John McDowell
and is funded by a four year NIH grant.  We are developing a novel,
high-throughput screen for unequal crossovers within R gene clusters,
and we expect that this experimental system will provide new insights
into meiotic recombination of R gene clusters and R gene
structure/function.  This research program is housed in the recently
constructed Fralin Biotechnology Center

  Blacksburg is located in an attractive mountain setting, with
college town amenities, exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities,
and low cost of living (<>
Interested individuals should contact John Jelesko at
<mailto:jelesko at>jelesko at, or 540-231-3728.

John G. Jelesko
Assistant Professor
Plant Pathology, Physiology, and Weed Science
Fralin Biotechnology Center, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0346
Phone: +1-540-231-3728    Fax:+1-540-231-7126
Email:  <mailto:jelesko at>jelesko at