Graduate Student Assistantship - Evolution of Plant Disease

John Jelesko jelesko at vt.edu
Tue Feb 5 16:49:11 EST 2002

Graduate Student Assistantship, Evolution of Plant Disease Resistance
Genes by Meiotic Unequal Crossing-over, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA.

  A position is available in the summer or fall of 2002 for a Ph.D.
student who is interested in using Arabidopsis to understand how
plant disease resistance gene (R gene) clusters evolve by unequal
crossing-over to form chimeric R genes with new/altered pathogen
resistance specificities.  This is a joint research program by John
Jelesko
<http://www.ppws.vt.edu/faculty/jelesko.html>http://www.ppws.vt.edu/faculty/jelesko.html
and John McDowell
<http://www.ppws.vt.edu/faculty/mcdowell.html>http://www.ppws.vt.edu/faculty/mcdowell.html
and is funded by a four year NIH grant.  We are developing a novel,
high-throughput screen for unequal crossovers within R gene clusters,
and we expect that this experimental system will provide new insights
into meiotic recombination of R gene clusters and R gene
structure/function.  This research program is housed in the recently
constructed Fralin Biotechnology Center
<http://www.biotech.vt.edu/>http://www.biotech.vt.edu/.

  Blacksburg is located in an attractive mountain setting, with
college town amenities, exceptional outdoor recreation opportunities,
and low cost of living (<http://www.bev.net/>http://www.bev.net/).
Interested individuals should contact John Jelesko at
<mailto:jelesko at vt.edu>jelesko at vt.edu, or 540-231-3728.

John G. Jelesko
Assistant Professor
Plant Pathology, Physiology, and Weed Science
Fralin Biotechnology Center, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0346
Phone: +1-540-231-3728    Fax:+1-540-231-7126
Email:  <mailto:jelesko at vt.edu>jelesko at vt.edu