Important Arabidopsis Announcement

David W Meinke/bot/cas/Okstate meinke at okstate.edu
Wed Jul 17 12:32:22 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues:

I need your help to update the list of mutant gene symbols and
replace the classical genetic map of Arabidopsis with a
sequence-based map of genes with mutant phenotypes.  Please read and
respond to this message before July 31, 2002.  Your help is needed to
provide accurate and current information to the Arabidopsis
community.

I have made available through TAIR (www.arabidopsis.org) three
different spreadsheets that need your attention:

1.        The current list of mutant gene symbols from
http://mutant.lse.okstate.edu.  Because of technical problems with
our computer server, we have temporarily placed a copy of this list
at TAIR.  If you are using a MUTANT gene symbol that is NOT included
on this list, CONFLICTS with an identical symbol on this list, or has
been DISCONTINUED, please send your additions and/or corrections to:
Meinke at okstate.edu.  Include gene symbol, full name of gene symbol,
and reference laboratory.

2.        A list of loci on the classical genetic map published in
Science [282: 663 (1998)] that appear to have NOT yet been cloned.
 Please check this list and let me know if you find any genes
included that HAVE been cloned and should therefore be REMOVED from
the list.  This list is separate from the spreadsheet below in order
to focus on the current status of genes listed on the classical
genetic map.

3.        A comprehensive list of CLONED genes with known AGI numbers
that give a phenotype when disrupted by mutation.  Evidence of gene
cloning was obtained by searching TAIR, GenBank, PubMed, research
publications, web sites, and posters presented at Seville.  This list
will be used to construct a sequence-based map of genes with mutant
phenotypes.  Send additional examples of CLONED genes with MUTANT
phenotypes to: Meinke at okstate.edu.

Please provide the following information for genes that need to be
added to the list:  AGI number (AtNgXXXXX), gene symbol, full name of
gene symbol, method of gene identification (e.g. positional cloning;
T-DNA tagging), reference lab, and a brief phrase describing the
mutant phenotype and predicted protein function.  Or you can refer me
to the appropriate publication.

Please remember that these genes should give a MUTANT PHENOTYPE when
disrupted by mutation.  Genes that give a phenotype only when
switched on through activation tagging or over-expression of
transgenes should NOT be included.

You are also encouraged to send examples of additional alias names
that refer to allelic mutants.

I NEED YOUR RESPONSES BY THE END OF JULY IN ORDER TO INCLUDE THEM ON
THE INITIAL VERSION OF THE MAP.

David Meinke (Meinke at okstate.edu)
Curator of Mutant Gene Symbols and the Classical Genetic Map

David W. Meinke
Department of Botany
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater, OK  74078