Real-time PCR assays for defense gene expression?

John M. McDowell johnmcd at vt.edu
Wed Jun 19 10:18:32 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,

Life is too short to spend a lot of time doing northern blots.  Therefore,
I would like to set up real time PCR assays for various pathogen-defense
associated genes in Arabidopsis (e.g. PR1, PDF1.2, etc.).  I realize that
these assays are not trivial to optimize.  Have any of you designed primers
for any defense-associated genes that work well in an ABI 7700, preferably
with SYBR green (or in other machines)?  And which gene do you use as an
"uninduced" control?

Thanks in advance for sharing postive (and negative) experiences!  I'll
compile and post responses.

Best regards,
John

John M. McDowell