Postdoctoral Positions at Dartmouth

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 24 12:57:33 EST 2002

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Postdoctoral Positions
Dartmouth College, Hanover New Hampshire

Two postdoctoral positions are available to study circadian rhythms
or photorespiration in Arabidopsis.

An NSF-funded postdoctoral research position is available immediately
to study the molecular basis of circadian rhythms in Arabidopsis (see
McClung, 2001, Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol. 52:139).
There are two general approaches in progress.  One is a genetic
analysis of Arabidopsis mutants with defects in the functioning of
the circadian clock.  The second is a molecular biological analysis
of the mechanism by which the circadian clock drives transcription at
specific circadian phases.  For more information, please see
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rmcclung/index.html.  The suitable
candidate should have experience with genetic, molecular biological
or with biochemical approaches.

A USDA-NRI-funded postdoctoral position is available immediately to
study photorespiratory serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT)
activity in Arabidopsis.  An essential component of the
photorespiratory pathway is the mitochondrial isozyme of serine
hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT).  Mutation of the STM gene results in
the loss of mitochondrial SHMT activity and confers a
conditionally-lethal phenotype (the mutant dies at low CO2
concentration but is viable at elevated CO2 levels) (Somerville &
Ogren, 1981, Plant Physiol. 67:666).  It was thought for 20 years
that STM encoded the photorespiratory SHMT.  In Arabidopsis, SHMT is
encoded by a family of seven SHM genes (McClung et al., 2000, Plant
Physiol. 123:381).  Indeed, mutation of the SHM1 gene, which encodes
a mitochondrial SHMT, confers a conditionally-lethal photorespiratory
phenotype (Renn=C8 et al., 2001, 12th International Conference on
Arabidopsis Research, Abstr. 151).  However, our genetic data have
established that STM is a distinct gene that encode

Salary will be commensurate with experience.  Interested candidates
should send applications, including a letter describing research
interests, a curriculum vitae and contact information for three
references to:  Rob McClung, Department of Biological Sciences,
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, 03755-3576, USA. Telephone
(603)646-3940; FAX (603)646-1347.  Applications may also be submitted
by email to mcclung at dartmouth.edu. Dartmouth College is an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer.  I will be attending the
Arabidopsis Conference in Seville and would be happy to meet there
with anyone interested.

A few words about Dartmouth:  Dartmouth is a small, Ivy League
university with an undergraduate body of about 4300 and a graduate
and professional school enrollment of approximately 850.  We offer
Ph.D programs in all of the Sciences;  there is an extensive group
whose research interests are focused on cellular, molecular and
developmental biology (see http://www.dartmouth.edu/~mcb/).  This
includes researchers from Dartmouth Medical School and the Thayer
School of Engineering, as well as from the Chemistry and Biological
Sciences departments of the College.

We are situated in Hanover, a traditional New England town in the
heart of winter skiing and summer lake resort areas.  The campus is
on the Connecticut River, which forms the border between New
Hampshire and Vermont.  The Appalachian Trail runs through Hanover.
We are only a two hour drive from Boston and a three hour drive from
Montreal, providing ample opportunities for sampling big city life.

Rob McClung
Department of Biological Sciences
Dartmouth College
Hanover, NH, 03755-3576, USA