postdoc position

Ian Graham iag1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Jun 26 07:00:11 EST 2002

Post-Doctoral Research Position
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products
Department of Biology
University of York

'The role of trehalose metabolism in embryo maturation and storage
reserve accumulation in Arabidopsis'

A three year BBSRC funded post-doctoral research position is
available from July 2002 in the Graham lab at CNAP, York, UK
(http://www.cnap.org.uk). We have recently shown that the
trehalose-6-phosphate synthase 1 gene (TPS1), is a critical regulator
of embryo maturation in Arabidopsis (Eastmond et al., The Plant
Journal, (2002) 29: 225-235). TPS1 appears to plays a key role in
regulating sugar metabolism during the transition from pattern
formation to storage accumulation in developing embryos. This project
will use a range of molecular genetic approaches  in Arabidopsis to
elucidate the mechanism by which TPS1has this effect. Approaches that
we plan to use include suppressor screens, TILLING and storage
reserve reporter gene studies in the tps1 mutant background.

The major focus of research in our lab is metabolic regulation of
gene expression and metabolic engineering. We use a range of
biochemical genetic approaches in Arabidopsis to identify key genes
involved in oilseed metabolism. The CNAP labs are located in the new
Biosciences development at the University of York which provides
state of the art facilities for post-genomic research. The academic
environment at York is excellent and is particularly strong in Plant
Biology.
York itself is a vibrant and beautiful city, which attracts many
foreign visitors, and is also a very pleasant place to live.

Further particulars and information on how to apply can be obtained
directly from myself (iag1 at york.ac.uk).

I am attending the Arabidopsis meeting in Seville and will post this
advert on the notice board. If anyone attending the meeting is
interested in discussing this post then please leave me a note on the
board or e-mail me before then.

--
Ian Graham,
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products