research associate position in Arabidopsis developmental

George Haughn haughn at mail.unixg.ubc.ca
Fri May 3 00:31:15 EST 2002

<x-flowed>RESEARCH ASSOCIATE POSITION IN ARABIDOPSIS DEVELOPMENTAL GENETICS

available at the

UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA

VANCOUVER, CANADA

We are seeking a well trained, highly motivated and enthusiastic individual
to study BEL1,  an Arabidopsis homeobox gene controlling ovule
morphogenesis, and other members of the BEL1like homeobox gene subfamily
(see Reiser et al., 1995 Cell 83:735742).  Our recent results indicate that
the BELlike homeodomain proteins heterodimerize with homeodomain proteins
from the Knottedlike subclass  (Bellaoui et al., 2001, Plant 13:
2455-2470).  Since both BELlike and KNAT homeodomain proteins are involved
in development and heterodimeric homeodomain proteins are known to control
developmental decisions in other organisms (eg yeast MAT a1/MAT alpha2) we
believe the BELKNAT interactions to be of considerable significance to
plant development.   We are interested in using genetic analysis to
determine the nature, extent and role of these interactions.  Additional
information concerning the laboratory, and our department can be found at
our Web site: http://www.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/index.htm.

The applicant must have expertise in developmental genetics in Arabidopsis
thaliana and molecular biological techniques. Experience with yeast 2hybrid
analysis, transgenic plants and/or reverse genetics in plants would be
highly desirable.  The position is available February 1, 2003 for an
initial period of 1year, with a  possibility of extension for up to three
years subject to satisfactory performance and availability of resources. If
interested, please send a cover letter outlining research experience and
interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and phone numbers of 3
referees by June 15, 2002 to George Haughn, Department of Botany,
University of British Columbia, 6270 University Blvd., Vancouver, B.C. V6T
1Z4, Canada; TEL (604) 8223554, FAX (604) 8226089; Email haughn at unixg.ubc.ca.

In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements priority will be given
to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.  UBC hires on the
basis of merit and is committed to employment equity.  We encourage all
qualified persons to apply.

George Haughn, Professor
Botany Department,  University of British Columbia
6270 University Blvd,  Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z4,  Canada
Tel:  604 822-9089
FAX:  604 822-6089
E-mail haughn at interchg.ubc.ca
<http://www.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/index.htm>