question about sick plants

cmf7 at duke.edu cmf7 at duke.edu
Wed Oct 9 07:34:48 EST 2002

	Since  this past July, we've had problems with Arabidopsis
(ecotype Ler and  Colombia) in our growth rooms, and wonder if anyone else
has observed something similar or has  suggestions for a cure.  Plants
generally germinate fine, but after bolting, they begin to turn
chlorotic from the top down.  They will produce some seeds, but generally
grow poorly.  In  some cases one entire flat of plants will be sick, while
an adjacent flat is healthy, and in  other cases, only a few scattered
plants within a flat will be sick.  We also occasionally
notice seedlings which develop high anthocyanin levels, and may then
become chlorotic.   We have not changed our growth conditions, and have
never noticed this type of problem  before.  Based on previous postings,
soil conditions seem like a possible cause.  We are using Scott's MetroMix
200, and wonder if there may be a problem with  recent batches of soil, or
if the problem may be related to water or infection.
     Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Christine Fleet