question about sick plants

varsha raja rnavarsha at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 22:02:10 EST 2002

Factors affecting growth and quality of plants:
1) Growth room conditions.
2) Hygine in terms of other spores etc....
3) Gamma irradiation treatment for auxenic sort of
growth in vivo (Growth rooms/chambers/green house)
4) Humidity and proper thermostat functionality.
5) Treating and drying the germplasm (seeds)  with
ethanol before sowing
6) Lux meter and light conditions.
7)  Cold room treatment (O/N)  just after sowing and
covered bags in order to give them the best humidity
for the germination sprout.
8)Not too much water (just sprinkling... with small
fountain)
9) Source-Sink treatment
10) Dirt use...brandwise
11)Temperature..conditions...
12)GA spray low concentrations (sometimes)
13) Germplasm collection and storage conditions
14)Parental genetic stocks
15) Seed harvesting conditions
16)Age of seed  stock
17) Stronger parental lineage
18)Nurturing plants with trace elements
19) May be sometimes providing them calcium granules
while they are juveniles and at vegetative phase of
Development
20) Proper nutrients and should not have deficient and
depreated mal food conditions
21) Feed with Hoagland
22) Number of seeds at the time of sowing.
23) Transplanting conditions
24) Healthyness of root system
25)Uniformity in seed sowing,distance,number of
rows..etc..
26)Sometimes soil itself is problematic
27) lab to growth room or field..fluctuations..creates
problems.
28)using blunt ended forceps instead of sharp ones.
29)conditions for sowing seeds and what manner it
should be sown..30) supporting plants with sticks in
order to avoid lodging..etc..
32)Imbibition...
33)Light- natural/artificial/spectrum/....
34)Sometimes chlorinated water..creates problems..
35)Ranching and uprooting of surrounding soil with
small spatula...supply of good o2 for roots...
36) development stage specific treatments...apical
dominance...sometimes...
38)Sometimes some seeds are grown in majenta box
without Sucrose just Agar(3.5%) and water and then
just transplantation
39)Daily observance and proper nurture in terms of all
external and internal healthy conditions.

In my opinion in general (all plants) including
Arabidopsis strains or cultivars,subspecies, live
longer if combination of  above conditions  are
fulfilled.

Rest  all luck depends upon the genetic
stock,inheritance,preservance , genetic shocks and
signatures ...
Regards,

VARSHA RAJA

Plant Biologist
(New Delhi)

--- cmf7 at duke.edu wrote:
>  	Since  this past July, we've had problems with
>  Arabidopsis
>  (ecotype Ler and  Colombia) in our growth rooms, and
>  wonder if anyone else
>  has observed something similar or has  suggestions
>  for a cure.  Plants
>  generally germinate fine, but after bolting, they
>  begin to turn
>  chlorotic from the top down.  They will produce some
>  seeds, but generally
>  grow poorly.  In  some cases one entire flat of
>  plants will be sick, while
>  an adjacent flat is healthy, and in  other cases,
>  only a few scattered
>  plants within a flat will be sick.  We also
>  occasionally
>  notice seedlings which develop high anthocyanin
>  levels, and may then
>  become chlorotic.   We have not changed our growth
>  conditions, and have
>  never noticed this type of problem  before.  Based
>  on previous postings,
>  soil conditions seem like a possible cause.  We are
>  using Scott's MetroMix
>  200, and wonder if there may be a problem with
>  recent batches of soil, or
>  if the problem may be related to water or infection.
>       Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
>

>  Christine Fleet
>

>  ---

=====
Varsha Raja,Faculty, Bioinformatics,Xintra, Suite# 600
55,Scarborough Town Centre Court,Toronto,OntariM1P4X4,CANADA
Voice: 1-416-290-6044,Fax: 1-416-290-6110 , Personal SMS-Box Address
is: http://mobile.icq.com/166604110
Web:http://xintra.dhs.org/varsha.html
"Om Bhurbhurva Swah! Tasta Viturva Renya
   Bhargo,Devatsya,Dhimahi,Dhiyoyonaha Prachodayata!"