from a high school teacher

Leonore Reiser lreiser at acoma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 14 17:23:34 EST 2002

Dear Richard-

I am a curator at the Arabidopsis Information Resource
(www.arabidopsis.org) and saw your posting on the Arabidopsis Newsgroup.

The Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center located in Ohio supplies seeds
to the research community. They will generally supply seed to high school
students and teachers without charge. To order seeds you must register at
TAIR and affiliate yourself to a lab (e.g.create an entry for the Kurtz
Lab). Instructions/help for registration can be found at:

http://www.arabidopsis.org/search/commreg.html

With respect to choices of mutant stocks, you could try screening some of
the pools of T-DNA insertionally mutagenized lines such as the ones
described on :
(http://www.arabidopsis.org/abrc/tdna_lines.html).Alternatively you can
choose another mutagen (e.g. EMS, X-ray) and screen these lines for
new mutants. Lehle seeds (www.arabidopsis.com) is a commercial source of
mutagenized seed -you can check their website and see what they charge.
Also, it may be possible to put you in contact with a researcher in your
area who may be able to help.

Janet Braam has been studying thigmotropism in Arabidopsis for many years
(her home page is : http://www.bioc.rice.edu/~braam/) and has islolated
touch sensitive mutants (TCH genes). Her  group has published a number of
papers (you can search in TAIR for publications with Author name contains
Braam which will give you abstracts and links to PubMed- Janets website
also lists her publications). You can find Dr. Braams contact information
by searching TAIRs community
(http://www.arabidopsis.org/servlets/Search?action=new_search&type=community).

Would your students be interested in looking at these mutants
specifically? Perhaps as a control (known to be defective?)-
You could contact Dr Braam who might be able to provide you with seeds for
the known mutants. Or you could use the sequences of the genes (for
example TCH1(CaM2), TCH2 and TCH3 to search for specific lines that have
insertions in these genes. You can use the locus identifiers on Janet's
website to query TAIR s database or upload the sequence into the BLAST
sequence alignment tool to search for insertions in these genes(see:
http://www.bioc.rice.edu/~braam/projects/camtree.html).

If you and your students are new to Arabidopsis you may also find the
information in the PREP Handbook helpful. This manual was written by a
high school teacher, an outreach coordinator and a researcher and includes
information about growing arabidopsis (the handbook is available as a PDF
file from the
site:ftp://tairpub@ftp.arabidopsis.org/%2Fhome/tair/home/tair/Protocols/PREP_handbook/)
Other protocols are available from the home page in the section
"Arabidopsis info" under protocols.

TAIR does have an email group specifically developed to help teachers and
students and researchers share information. We have recently set this up
at: tair-edu at aztec.stanford.edu(see
http://www.arabidopsis.org/info/email.html).
Reasearchers who are interested in acting as advisors to students/
teachers such as you, can register as advisors and anyone can post to the
newsgroup.And there is also a link to the Plant-bio
edu newsgroup which is more general.

I hope this is of some help to you and if you or your students have more
questions that we might be able to help with  feel free to contact me or
any of the curators at curator at arabidopsis.org.

Regards
Leonore Reiser

Leonore Reiser, Ph.D.                   lreiser at acoma.stanford.edu
The Arabidopsis Information Resource	FAX: (650) 325-6857
Carnegie Institution of Washington	Tel: (650) 325-1521 ext. 311
Department of Plant Biology		URL: http://arabidopsis.org/
260 Panama St.
Stanford, CA 94305