Expanded PhD training program

Craig Pikaard pikaard at biology.wustl.edu
Tue Oct 29 13:31:00 EST 2002

The PhD Program in Plant Biology at Washington University in St. Louis is
undergoing expansion, in partnership with the new Donald Danforth Plant
Science Center, one of the few independent research institutes devoted to
plant research. Our Plant Biology Program is well known for plant genetics,
epigenetics, physiology, biochemistry, cell biology and molecular biology.
These areas of training are strengthened by new faculty and new
state-of-the-art facilities for microscopy (including cryo-EM, confocal,
computational optical sectioning and multi-photon fluorescence microscopy),
mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF, LC-ESI-MS/MS, GC-MS) and X-ray
crystallography. We train scientists equipped to join the effort to define
the functions of all plant genes. Your help in alerting undergraduate or
master's degree students to our program is very much appreciated. There is
no application fee. Stipends for 2003 will be $21, 500 and free tuition and
health insurance coverage are also provided. St. Louis is an affordable and
fun place to live and a great place to learn.

Our training philosophy at Washington University is for PhD students to
develop expertise in plant biology while also being educated about other
model systems.  Our goal is to train world-class, creative biologists who
study plants yet can utilize other systems as needed. Notable aspects of the
training environment at Washington University include: a 15 million dollar
permanent endowment to support plant research and education, a seamless
integration of the Plant Biology Program with the other 11 PhD Programs of
the Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences, and opportunities for
collaborations and internships with industry.  As evidence of our training
success, forty-four (of 47 total) of our former PhD students have kept us
updated on their careers and all are using their degree skills as a
professional: 16 are college/university professors; 9 are industry
scientists (including 1 Chief Executive Officer, 1 President, 2
Vice-Presidents); 5 are staff scientists in Academic Institutes (including 2
at NIH, 2 Botanical Garden Curators); 3 are government scientists (2 with
the Food and Drug Administration, 1 with the USDA); 1 is a scientific book
publisher and journalist; 1 is a scientific patent agent; 9 recent graduates
are still undergoing postdoctoral training.

To learn more about Washington University and the Plant Biology Program,
please visit our website: http://biosgi.wustl.edu/plant/plantbiology.html

Craig S. Pikaard
Professor, Biology Department
Washington University