DEX induction problems

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 07:06:54 EST 2003

Dear Colleagues,

We are having problems with DEX induction of a transcription
factor-glucocorticoid receptor fusion (BBM-GR) in young seedlings.
The seeds are plated on =BD MS + 1% sucrose containing 10 um DEX and
scored for somatic embryo formation up to 10 days after germination.
The problem we are experiencing is that the same seed batch responds
differently to the DEX induction when plated at different times;
sometimes the phenotypes are very strong, while at other times only
very weak phenotypes are observed. We have ruled out any problems
related to seed vigour and the stability of the DEX solution. We are
wondering if the variable phenotypes could be related to the
efficiency of DEX uptake by the seedlings, e.g. could the amount of
moisture in the plates affect DEX uptake?  We would be interested to
hear from other groups who have experienced (and solved!) similar
problems.

Thanks,

Kim Boutilier