Help with Genetics course textbook

Zhi-Liang Zheng zzheng at lehman.cuny.edu
Fri Oct 24 16:35:32 EST 2003

I am planning to teach an undergraduate Genetics course next spring
in the Department of Biological Sciences, but it is the first time
for me to develop such a course, so if any of you can give me some
suggestions, I will greatly appreciate. It is designed as a 2 hr
lecture and 4 hr lab course. This general/introductory genetics
course covers chromosome, simple Mendalian inheritance and a little
bit on molecular genetics. Most of students take this course for the
purpose of going to Med schools, instead of pursuing plant research.
However, I would like to include Arabidopsis genetic experiments for
the lab. This should give the metropolitan students a real chance of
learning plants. I personally feel manipulation of plants is easier
than flies in the classroom. Which mutants are the appropriate, such
as floral organ identity or hormone response mutants? Any suggestions
regarding the textbook and the lab will be highly appreciated.  Also,
I am looking for a genetics textbook that might also be useful for
the senior undergraduate/graduate level Advanced Genetics course. I
plan to introduce non-Mendalian inheritance and molecular genetics.
Such a dual-purpose textbook should come with questions and a lab
manual. Thus students can save some bucks since nowadays they have to
pay MORE for their education. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

Zhi-Liang Zheng

Assistant Professor of Plant Signal Transduction

Department of Biological Sciences

Lehman College, The City University of New York

Office: (718) 960-6955

Fax: (718)-960-8236

e-mail: zzheng at lehman.cuny.edu