SURVEY OF "Genes with experimentaslly-determined function"

Town, Christopher cdtown at tigr.org
Tue Apr 6 08:58:26 EST 2004

Good morning all

As part of the process of tracking the progress and status of the
goals of the NSF 2010 Project, we (the Bioinformatics Group of the
Multinational Arabidopsis Steering Committee) would like to generate
an up to date list of "Genes with experimentally determined function"
where the function of a gene has actually been demonstrated by lab
work rather than just inferred from homology or other in silico
evidence.
As things stand now, the count is ~550. However, extrapolating
from what I heard at a meeting last Saturday, I suspect that it is
really quite a bit larger than this as many of you pursue the
functions of your favorite sets of genes.

So I'd appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to write me
about genes that you know to have been functionally characterized,
either by you, your colleagues or in the literature. We will merge
all the information and share it with the community, of course.
The best format to send the information would be tab-delimited,
either in the body of an e-mail or as an attachment with three fields
per line:
where "Evidence" would be a phrase or sentece describing the type of
experimental data and "Source of information" would be the name of
the individual, the lab or the journal citation providing the
evidence.

Please include in your list both published and unpublished genes as
it's not clear that everything in the literature has been captured at
this point.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Chris
_____________________________________
Chris Town
Associate Investigator