TNS/TIPS for RNA preparation

Kevin Folta kfolta at mail.ifas.ufl.edu
Fri Apr 23 13:27:24 EST 2004

Last year I posted a note, looking for a supplier of TIPS/TNS -
triisopropylnaphthalenesulfonic acid for use in plant RNA preps. This
reagent was especially useful in generating large amounts of
array-quality RNA from etiolated Arabidopsis, among other tissues.

I was deluged with responses stating that this reagent was no longer
available. Some suggested I substitute SDS.  This substitution does
not work well.

I was able to locate a supplier of DIPS/DNS, a di-isopropyl
substitute of naphthalenesulfonic acid.  Because the downstream
applications are sensitive, time consuming and costly, we extensively
tested DIPS as a substitute for TIPS, even though they are almost
identical.

The results of these trials verified that DIPS is a direct
replacement for TIPS in protocols utilizing
alkylnaphthalenesulfonates.

I found the reagent at Cactus Biotech in Hayward California,
<http://www.cactusbiotech.com/>www.cactusbiotech.com .

Thanks for all of your input.

Kevin Folta