Array quality RNA from Arabidopsis siliques

Gill Dean gilldean at
Fri Apr 30 12:28:33 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to obtain RNA from developing Arabidopsis
siliques for use in microarray. However, it seems that once the seeds
in the siliques have completed mucilage production it is very hard to
obtain RNA which can be labelled successfully. Mucilage consists of
large amounts of pectin and I am assuming that this polysaccharide is
what is causing the problem.

If anyone has a protocol which they have used for tissues with high
polysaccharide, which gives RNA of array quality then I would be very
grateful if you were willing to share!

Dr Gillian Dean
Post Doctoral Fellow
Dept of Botany