Using transgenic plants in high school teaching

James Stark james.stark at umb.edu
Fri Aug 20 12:41:23 EST 2004

We are currently in the early planning stage of a project to develop
some plant biology laboratory exercises for high school students, and
to put together workshops to train high school science teachers to
use these exercises in their teaching.  We are unsure what
regulations might pertain to the use of transgenic plants in these
exercises.  Does anyone have experience with using transgenic plants
in the context of high school teaching, or know which regulatory
bodies would have this sort of thing under their purview?

We would very much appreciate any information or experiences anyone
would be willing to share.  Thanks--

Jim Stark
UMass Boston