Posdoctoral position, transcription factors, at Versailles,

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 22 11:58:38 EST 2004

A postdoctoral position is available for an enthusiastic and highly
motivated post-doc fellow to work on functional analyses of
transcription factors involved in the control of flavonoid
biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. The position requires a Ph.D. with an
excellent background in molecular genetics and functional
characterization of transcription factors both in vitro and in vivo
(e.g. Yeast 1-or 2H, Co-IP, Gel-shift, footprint). Knowledge in plant
biology is not absolutely required.

To date, 22 loci involved in flavonoid metabolism have been
identified and sixteen mutants have already led to gene cloning,
among which BAN, which encodes a key enzyme of proanthocyanidin (PA)
metabolism. We have shown that the activity of the BAN promoter is
restricted to PA-accumulating cells and have localized a specific
enhancer region involved in this regulation (Debeaujon et al., 2003).
We have identified three genes, namely TT2, TT8, and TT16 which
encode MYB, bHLH, and MADS transcription factors, respectively, and
positively regulate BAN expression (Nesi et al., 2000, 2001, and
2002). At least three other genes are also necessary for proper PA
accumulation, namely TT1, TTG1, and TTG2 encoding ZnFinger, WDR, and
WRKY protein, respectively. We have demonstrated that TT2, TT8, and
TTG1 simultaneously interact and directly activate the promoter of
BAN (Baudry et al., 2004). The proposed program intends to unravel
further this complex regulatory network at the genetic, biochemical
and molecular levels.

Our group is interested in understanding the molecular and genetic
mechanisms that control seed development and maturation
(www.ijpb.versailles.inra.fr/en/bs/equipes/Dev/index.htm). We have
general expertise in the field of plant molecular biology, genetics,
functional genomics, and tools for cytological, metabolic and
physiological analyses.  The position is available in the framework
of the EU-project FLAVO, coordinated by our group, aiming at a better
understanding and improvement of the impact of fruit and vegetable
flavonoids on food quality, human nutrition and health.

The Institute JPB (http://www-ijpb.versailles.inra.fr/en/index.htm)
has a longstanding tradition in plant biology including genetics,
metabolism, cell biology and development (4 laboratories, 30 research
groups, 300 people including 80 permanent researchers and research
assistants). During the last decade, the institute has established an
internationally recognized reputation in molecular genetics and has
contributed to the development of a widely used set of tools for
functional genomics. Common facilities (Cytology and Biochemistry
Laboratories) display full equipments needed for cell imaging and
protein biochemistry. Our campus is one of the largest Plant Biology
centers in Europe and has strong contacts with the URGV (Plant
Genomics, Evry), the University of Orsay (ParisXI), and the ISV
(Institut des Sciences V=E9g=E9tales, Gif). Versailles is a beautiful and
historical city located only 30 minutes away from Paris by train
(http://www.versailles-tourisme.com/index_a.html).

Expected start date: March 2005
Duration: 24 to 36 months
The salary is 26 000 =A4 / year (about 21 500 =A4 net)
Contact : Lo=EFc LEPINIEC  (Flavo04 at versailles.inra.fr)
Seed Biology Laboratory, IJPB, INRA, Versailles, France
To apply, send CV, list of  publications, and 3 references to
=46lavo04 at versailles.inra.fr

Publications of the group related to the project
- Baudry A. et al., (2004)  Plant J. 39, 366-380.
- Debeaujon I. et al., (2003) Plant Cell, 15, 2514-2531.
- Nesi N. et al., (2002) Plant Cell, 14, 2463-2479.
- Nesi N. et al., (2001) Plant Cell, 13, 2099-2114.
- Nesi N. et al., (2000) Plant Cell, 12, 1863-1878.

--
Lo=EFc Lepiniec
Institut Jean-Pierre Bourgin (IJPB),
lepiniec at versailles.inra.fr
http://www-ijpb.versailles.inra.fr/en/bs/equipes/Dev/index.htm

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is
notify us by replying to the sender's e-mail address.