FW: Important Message about SAIL

dorothy.pierce at syngenta.com dorothy.pierce at syngenta.com
Mon Jan 5 09:16:25 EST 2004

Dear Arab-gen newsgroup,

Chuck Gasser of UC-Davis suggested that we forward this message to you.
Below is an updated version of the message that was sent on Dec. 30 to all
academic SAIL users in our database.  Attached is our contact information
should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

The Syngenta SAIL Resource Team

> [...]
>collection to academic researchers. Our system of SAIL access under a
>Materials Transfer Agreement (MTA) was launched in June 2001. The "numbers"
>suggest that the access system has been a great success with the Arabidopsis
>community. Since that time, under more than 600 executed MTAs, we have
>filled over 1,300 seed requests from approximately 850 academic requestors
>at almost 300 different institutions around the world. It is obvious to us
>from the feedback from SAIL users that the SAIL collection has made a
>significant contribution to plant research, and results from use of SAIL
>materials have been included in a large number of scientific publications
>and conference presentations. The number of seed requests to SBI has tapered
>off significantly in recent months, and coupled with our limited internal
>resources for maintaining the collection and the seed distribution system,
>we felt it was time to make a change to the SAIL access system.
>
>Of the approximately 100,000 lines in the SAIL collection, about 90% are
>being donated to the Arabidopsis Biological Resource Center (ABRC) in
>Columbus, OH, so researchers will be able to access these lines directly
>through the ABRC (http://www.arabidopsis.org/abrc/
><http://www.arabidopsis.org/abrc/> ) in the future. SBI will provide the
>SAIL seed for this set of lines to the ABRC. The sequence information for
>the entire SAIL collection will be deposited into GenBank and is also being
>provided to Joe Ecker at the Salk Institute to enter into his public site
>for finding Arabidopsis mutants (http://signal.salk.edu/tabout.html
><http://signal.salk.edu/tabout.html> ). We will compile and post the list of
>donated SAIL lines on www.tmri.org <http://www.tmri.org>  within the first
>two weeks in January 2004.
>
>The remaining 10% of the lines will be kept at SBI. Any lines that have been
>requested under an MTA since the access system was launched in June 2001 are
>included in this retained set.  We will compile and post the list of
>requested SAIL lines on www.tmri.org <http://www.tmri.org>  within the first
>two weeks in January 2004.  We stopped executing new MTAs on December 1,
>2003, and as of January 1, 2004, we will no longer be accepting any new seed
>requests for any lines in this set under the existing MTAs.  For anyone who
>has already requested and received SAIL seed under an MTA, we will keep the
>MTA in effect and you will be able to continue using those SAIL lines under
>the MTA.  As specified in the MTA, please continue to send to SBI
>publications for prior review, annual reports and bulked up seed and to
>notify us of inventions made through use of SAIL materials.
>
>We sincerely appreciate the interest you, our academic colleagues, have
>shown in the SAIL collection and apologize for any inconvenience these
>changes to the SAIL access system might cause.  This message is also being

Seed requests:

Allen Sessions, Ph.D.
Research and Technology
ATG-G