positions in vascular development

Nobody nobody at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 09:27:06 EST 2004

1 Postdoctoral Research Associate &
1 Graduate Student=8A

=8Ainvited for joining the Wood Development Group
Plant Molecular Biology Laboratory
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki

We are investigating the molecular basis of vascular development and
its diversity. We have started to search for Arabidopsis mutants with
an altered cellular organization of procambium. The WOODEN LEG
(WOL/CRE1) locus is essential for cell proliferation during
procambial development and it encodes a cytokinin receptor (M=E4h=F6nen
et al. Genes Dev 14: 2938; Inoue et al. Nature 409:1060). ALTERED
PHLOEM DEVELOPMENT (APL) locus is required for proper vascular tissue
identity and codes for a transcription factor (Bonke, Thitamadee et
al. Nature 426: 181). In addition, we have identified new mutants
potentially informative for procambial development (see our www page).
Consequently, we want to investigate whether the molecular components
identified in Arabidopsis likewise regulate development of  the
vascular cambium of a tree. As a support for this hypothesis, we have
recently identified CRE1/WOL-like genes that are active in the
cambial zone of a birch tree (Betula pendula). Furthermore, as a
domestic collaboration our group has EST sequenced more than 10 000
birch genes active in the cambial zone.
In order to further characterize the Arabidopsis mutants and their
corresponding genes and functions more in-depth, as well as to
analyze the various birch genes using functional genomics approaches
we are looking for two scientists to join our team. These positions
will be filled for a minimum of two years at the earliest from 1st of
March 2004 and at the latest 1st of September 2004. The salary is
between 1700 and 2500 Euros/month depending on qualifications and
previous experience. Applications are considered beginning February
2004 and are taken until a suitable candidate is found.

To apply, please contact me either by email, mail or phone:

Dr. Yk=E4 Helariutta, Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Institute of
Biotechnology, POB 56 FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland

More information from www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/plant/helariutta/,
by email: <mailto:jaakko.kangasjarvi at helsinki.fi>
yhelariu at operoni.helsinki.fi  or by phone 09-19159422
Yk=E4 Helariutta, Ph.D., Group Leader