Plant Chromatin Database - ChromDB

Rich Jorgensen rajorgensen at mac.com
Sun Jan 11 13:15:49 EST 2004

Dear Arabidopsis Researchers:

We propose to expand the Plant Chromatin Database (ChromDB;
www.chromdb.org) into a true community database for all plant
biologists interested in the contribution of chromatin proteins to
the biology of plants. Carolyn Napoli and I will submit a proposal to
NSF's Plant Genome Research Program to this end and would like to ask
for letters of support from anyone who uses ChromDB, or would like to
use an expanded ChromDB that will serve the whole community, rather
than any particular project or constituency. We will extend
annotation and curation of chromatin protein homologs to all plant
species and provide means for integrating information across species
in a phylogenetic context. In addition, we will be adding a wide
variety of new features such providing sequence data in GFF format,
presentation via a track viewer such as GBrowse, and presentation of
edited, user-submitted curation. An editorial board with broad
representation has been constituted to advise and direct ChromDB and
to oversee user submissions of information.

Success of this proposal will depend on our ability to demonstrate
and convey a sense of community interest and support. We would
appreciate comments on the ways in which you find ChromDB to be
useful, whether in research, teaching or both. We are also very
interested in your suggestions as to what additional features would
be desirable. If there are flaws or deficiencies you would like to
see corrected, please let us know about these too. Your message can
be as brief or as detailed as you like. We plan to submit our
proposal on or about January 20, 2004.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Napoli, PI