Postdoc Position in plant pathogen interactions

Sarah Grant sgrant at email.unc.edu
Thu Jul 29 13:27:39 EST 2004

Postdoctoral Position Available

Laboratory of Sarah Grant and Jeff Dangl
Department of Biology
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Tel: (919) 962-7253
Email: <mailto:sgrant at unc.edu>sgrant at unc.edu.

Little is known about molecular host-pathogen interactions in natural
settings. We are initiating a new NSF funded study on the evolution
and diversity of virulence factors in the agronomically important
bacterial pathogen of potatoes, Erwinia carotovora pv. carotovora
(Ecc). The goal of this project is identification of translocated
virulence factors from Ecc collected from a variety of diverse hosts
and environments in order to understand the extent of pathogen
diversity and characterize the mechanisms of virulence used by this
pathogen. This project is a collaboration with three laboratories at
the University of Wisconsin with expertise in Ecc-host interactions
(Charkowski and Yang) and evolution of bacterial pathogenicity
(Perna). We have developed a high-throughput screening method to
identify virulence factors that are translocated into host cells from
bacterial pathogens. We are looking for someone to direct this high
throughput screening effort, develop methods to manage and utilize
the data generated and initiate novel studies of the virulence
mechanisms of Ecc.
     The successful applicant will need to demonstrate, via
publications in peer-reviewed journals: 1) expertise in microbial
genetics/genomics, 2) all standard molecular cloning skills including
construction of genomic libraries, 3) some knowledge of database
management, 4) the ability to communicate effectively in both written
and spoken English and 5) the desire and ability to interact with
researchers in distant laboratories and to work in a research team
environment. Please send a CV and publication list and the names and
email addresses of three references to Sarah Grant at
<mailto:sgrant at email.unc.edu>sgrant at email.unc.edu.
     Preferred start date will be between October 2004 and January 2005.

--
Sarah R. Grant
Research Assistant Professor
Email: <mailto:sgrant at email.unc.edu>sgrant at email.unc.edu