hygromycin resistance

Zhiyong Wang zywang24 at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 23 19:20:52 EST 2004

You will love hygromycin selection if you follow the following
procedure. The key is to grow your seedlings in the dark. After you
sow the seeds and treat them in cold for a couple of days, put the
plates in light for 4-12 hr to promote germination, then put the
plates in the dark (wrap up with foil and put in your drawer is good
enough). Grow for 5 days (start from the beginning of light
treatment, longer growth in the dark will reduce the
greening/recovery in light). You will find hyg sensitive seedlings
lying on medium with very short hypocotyls and open dotyledons (look
like those severe det and cop mutants), and hyg resistant seedlings
will be standing up tall like normal dark-grown seedlings (with long
hypocotyls and closed cotyledons). Keep the plate in weak light (on
you bench) for a day or two to allow hygR seedlings to green up and
recover (strong light sometimes bleach the etiolated seedlings,
particularly old ones). You can grow them longer in growth chamber to
get bigger seedlings and them transfer the tall seedlings to soil.
Whatever vector you use, you won't misscore the hygromycin resistant
seedlings, unless your transgenic plants have a
de-etiolated-in-the-dark phenotype. Have fun.

Zhiyong

Dr. Zhiyong Wang
Staff Member
Department of Plant Biology