Postdoctoral opportunities

Iris Meier meier.56 at osu.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:51:11 EST 2004

POSTDOCTORAL POSITIONS IN PLANT MOLECULAR CELL BIOLOGY

Two NSF-funded postdoctoral positions are available at the Plant
Biotechnology Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. The
first position is for an individual to study the function of nuclear
coiled-coil proteins in Arabidopsis. In yeast and animals, long
coiled-coil domains are involved in the functional association of
centromers, centrosomes, the nuclear matrix, and chromatin. In
contrast, only a handful of long coiled-coil proteins have been
identified from plants. We have recently used a bioinformatics
approach to identify all long coiled-coil proteins in the Arabidopsis
ORFeome and have now mined these data for proteins potentially
involved in nuclear organization. We will use a combination of
reverse genetics, biochemistry, and proteomics to investigate the
function of these proteins. (Rose et al. (2004) Genome-wide
Identification of Arabidopsis Coiled-coil Proteins and Establishment
of the ARABI-COIL Database. Plant Physiol. 134, 927-939; Calikowsky
et al. (2003) A Proteomic Study of the Arabidopsis Nuclear Matrix. J.
Cell. Biochem. 90, 361-378).

The second position will be in the area of spatial organization of
Ran signaling in Arabidopsis. An emerging theme in signal
transduction research is how the different pathways of signaling
events are both separated and coordinated in a temporal and spatial
manner in the living cell. RanGAP is an accessory protein of Ran
signaling, which functions in nuclear transport, mitotic spindle
assembly, and post-mitotic nuclear assembly. We have found that plant
RanGAP is spatially positioned in interphase and during mitosis by a
different mechanism than animal RanGAP. Our goal is now to understand
the molecular mechanism, biological function, and evolutionary
history of this subcellular targeting mechanism that may be unique to
the plant kingdom. (Rose, A. and Meier, I. (2001). A domain unique to
plant RanGAP is responsible for its targeting to the plant nuclear
rim. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 98, 15377-15382; Meier, I. (2000).
A novel link between Ran signal transduction and nuclear envelope
proteins in plants. Plant Phys. 124, 1507-1510).

Both positions are available immediately and are competitively
funded. Successful candidates will be highly motivated and creative
individuals, will have experience in molecular biology, biochemistry,
or cell biology, and will have published in internationally
recognized journals.

If you are interested in these opportunities, please send by e-mail a
CV with a list of publications, a statement of research experience
and interests, and contact information for three persons who can
provide letters of recommendation. Please mention in your letter
whether you are specifically interested in one of the research areas.

Iris Meier, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Plant Biotechnology Center and Department of Plant Biology
The Ohio State University
244 Rightmire Hall, 1060 Carmack Road
Columbus, OH 43210
PHONE: (614) 292 8323, FAX: (614) 292 5379, email: meier.56 at osu.edu