3 Postdoctoral Positions in Vancouver, Canada

Ljerka Kunst kunst at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 22 01:36:55 EST 2004

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWS WANTED
University of British Columbia
Roadmap to the Plant Cuticle: Gene Expression in the Plant Epidermis.

Three post-doctoral fellows are required for an exciting new study into
the plant cuticle.  We are three labs (Kunst lab, molecular genetics;
Samuels lab, cell biology; Jetter lab, phytochemistry) at the Botany
Department, UBC, in Vancouver, Canada, working together on an integrative
approach to investigate how epidermal cells produce the waxy "skin" that
covers the surface of all land plants (Pighin, Zheng et al., 2004, Science
306:702-704). We want to identify new candidate genes responsible for
cuticle formation and test their function in corresponding mutant plants.
Given the dearth of information on the assembly of the cuticle, success in
this project will open a completely new area in plant biology.

Our novel approach will combine diverse modern techniques, monitoring
expression patterns with molecular tools (Kunst Lab;
kunst at interchange.ubc.ca), studying cell structure with light and electron
microscopy (Samuels Lab; lsamuels at interchange.ubc.ca), and analyzing the
lipid composition of the cuticle with GC-MS (Jetter Lab;
jetter at interchange.ubc.ca). We seek post-docs with expertise in at least one
of these fields. They will initially be trained in all the techniques
involved, and will continue to collaborate while specializing in the
participating labs.

Please use the above email addresses to forward your application
information. UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment
equity.  We encourage all qualified persons to apply.

Dr. Ljerka Kunst
Associate Professor
Department of Botany
University of British Columbia