USDA funding

Eric Richards richards at biology2.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 28 15:06:12 EST 2004

Dear Arabidopsis researchers,

American Arabidopsis Steering Committee recently queried Anna C.
Palmisano (Deputy Administrator, Competitive Programs, CSREES)
regarding whether the USDA NRI program is changing the evaluation of
proposals that concentrate on Arabidopsis research.  Below, for your
information, is the response that we received.  We hope that this
will be useful as you prepare proposals for upcoming NRI deadlines.

Best wishes,
The NAASC

Bonnie Bartel (Rice University)
<mailto:bartel at bioc.rice.edu>bartel at bioc.rice.edu

Judith Bender (Johns Hopkins University)
<mailto:jbender at mail.jhmi.edu>jbender at mail.jhmi.edu

Philip Benfey (Duke University)
<mailto:philip.benfey at duke.edu>philip.benfey at duke.edu

Gregory Copenhaver (University of North Carolina)
<mailto:gcopenhaver at bio.unc.edu>gcopenhaver at bio.unc.edu

Xing Wang Deng (Yale University)
<mailto:xingwang.deng at yale.edu>xingwang.deng at yale.edu

C. Robertson McClung (Dartmouth University)
<mailto:C.Robertson.McClung at Dartmouth.edu>C.Robertson.McClung at Dartmouth.edu

Eric Richards (Washington University)
<mailto:richards at biology.wustl.edu>richards at biology.wustl.edu

Brenda Winkel (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University)
<mailto:winkel at vt.edu>winkel at vt.edu

------------

Dear North American Arabidopsis Steering Committee,

Thank you for your inquiry about the National Research Initiative and
our programs on plant biology. As you may know, the mission of CSREES
is "to advance knowledge for agriculture, the environment, human
health and well being, and communities." All of the programs in the
NRI as well as other CSREES programs support our agency mission.

Not surprisingly, crop plants and plants involved in agriculture are
of a special interest to our agency-that interest is reflected in the
language of our RFA. We are unique from other agencies, such as NSF,
in that regard. NSF has the purview (and a much larger budget-over
$3B total versus $165M for the total NRI) to study a wide range of
fundamental questions in plant biology. They have been key partners
on many of our programs.

Arabidopsis has provided an important understanding of basic plant
biology, and certainly your committee should be congratulated for the
important role they have played in galvanizing researchers in the
field.  In reading the 2005 RFA, you will see that we have not
precluded the use of Arabidopsis as a model system. However, we have
asked that the investigators "clearly indicate how non-crop model
studies are relevant to agriculture and food systems or forest
species, the strategy for transferring the knowledge to these species
for agricultural or forestry benefit, and the potential timeframe for
such transfer."

I appreciate your interest in our programs-please feel free to
contact me at 202-401-1761 if I can provide any further clarification.

Sincerely,

Anna Palmisano

Anna C. Palmisano, Ph.D.

Deputy Administrator, Competitive Programs

Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service

800  9th St. SW, Waterfront Centre

Washington, DC 20024-2241

Phone: 202-401-1761

FAX: 202-401-1782