paths to using genetic alteration to help eradicate Alliaria

Phil Johnson pjohnson at ccthita.org
Thu Sep 9 13:49:49 EST 2004

Greetings Everyone:

Here is a question that I have sent to people who are involved with
eradication of Alliaria petiolata (garlic mustard).  Does research on
Arabidopsis thaliana show any possible paths to using genetic
alteration to help eradicate garlic mustard?

Please let me know if there is any enzyme or proteome research
currently underway on Alliaria petiolata in the U.S. by U.S.
government laboratories that you are aware of:  I am particularly
interested in enzyme or protein changes in A. petiolata signaling the
plant that it has flowered and produced seeds in its second and final
year of life.

Because A. petiolata is so biologically unique (especially that non-
mycorrhizal feature combined with that chemical that makes it smell
like garlic) it may be possible to create a synthetic enzyme that
specifically targets A. petiolata to force a premature death of the
plant by making seedlings behave as though they are plants that have
flowered and fruited, and thus, are in the final phase of the plant's
two year life.

Senescence in A. petiolata, as in other plants, if physically
prevented from flowering and fruiting in its second year, will be
delayed.  It will continue living into a 3rd or 4th year still
attempting to produce fruits until either it does produce fruit or
until the plant is destroyed by chemical means or by physically
uprooting.  This suggests a possible existence of an enzyme that the
plant either stops or starts producing after flowering and fruiting.
If its "biennial-ness" were a function of genetics alone, the plant
should die after its second year regardless of whether or not it
flowered and produced fruit.

Any suggestions on who may know more about this?  And can anyone
suggest where I could get information on how our organization could
form a partnership with a good lab to research and field test this
idea?

I greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter,

Phil Johnson, Acting Manager

Native Lands & Resources

Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska

320 W. Willoughby Avenue, Suite 300

Juneau, AK 99801

907-463-7193

907-463-7361 Fax