[Arabidopsis] auxin transgenics - your paper

Dr Christine Beveridge c.beveridge at uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 01:41:44 EST 2005

Dear Eric,

I have been reading your paper in JPGR on the iaaM/iaaH transgenics
with much interest. I think the finding of the bud outgrowth in the
isolated segments is very interesting. Have you thought any more on
why that might be? Have you tried looking to see if those buds show an
altered auxin response in the split-bud assay such as by Chatfield et
al?

I also wondered about the interpretation of the IAA transport.
Certainly you have less auxin in segments B and C, but you also have
less auxin in total in those plants. It is possible that the rate of
uptake is different from the media (eg. mediate by the higher
endogenous auxin content or auxin upregulation of flavanoids that
affect auxin uptake) and then the rate of transport is the same. Have
you done any time-course studies of the transport at all?

Thanks for your time,

Best wishes,

Christine Beveridge

Senior Lecturer
ARC Centre of Excellence for Integrative Legume Research
University of Queensland