Postdoctoral position RNAi

Maria J. Harrison mjh78 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 17 16:58:39 EST 2005

Post-doctoral position (2005-5)

Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research, Ithaca, NY
(<http://bti.cornell.edu/>http://bti.cornell.edu)

Mycorrhizal symbiosis
Background: Most vascular flowering plants are able to form symbioses
with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. The associations develop in the
roots where the fungus acquires carbon from the plant and assists
that plant with the acquisition of phosphate from the soil.
Development of the symbiosis requires the active participation of
both partners and the fungal and plant cells undergo coordinate
differentiation to create specialized symbiotic interfaces over which
nutrients are exchanged.
             The research in our lab aims to understand the molecular
basis of the symbiosis and we use a model legume, Medicago truncatula
and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, Glomus versiforme and Glomus
intraradices for our analyses. Transcriptional profiling studies have
identified M. truncatula genes whose expression is induced during
development of the symbiosis. The next stage of the program is to use
RNAi to assess the role of these genes in development of the
symbiosis. This is in progress and a number of genes essential for
the AM symbiosis have been identified. The post-doctoral position is
to participate in the large-scale RNAi screening for genes required
for the AM symbiosis in M. truncatula.
             Applicants must have a strong publication record and
demonstrated expertise in plant molecular biology, genetics or cell
biology. Experience with high throughput functional genomics
technologies is an advantage. To apply: Send a letter summarizing
research interests, a CV and names of 3 references to Maria J.
Harrison  (<mailto:mjh78 at cornell.edu>mjh78 at cornell.edu) or via mail
to The  Boyce Thompson Institute, Tower Road, Ithaca, NY 14853, Attn:
Maria Harrison, Job # 2005-5.

  The Boyce Thompson Institute is a non-profit research institute
affiliated with and located on the central Cornell University campus
in Ithaca, New York.

EOE M/F/D/V

Maria J. Harrison, Ph.D.
Scientist,  Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research
Professor (Adjunct), Department of Plant Pathology, Cornell University

Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research
Tower Road
Ithaca, NY 14853-1801

phone:  (607) 254-6472
fax:	  (607) 254-6779