[Arabidopsis] Opportunity for Plant Hormone Research in Japan

Yuji Kamiya ykamiya at postman.riken.jp
Wed Jun 1 21:05:03 EST 2005

Dear Arabidopsis members

Positions for Research Scientist and Research Associate in the Growth
Regulation Research Group at RIKEN Plant Science Center

The main goal of our group is to understand how low-molecular-weight
signaling compounds (plant hormones) regulate growth and development
as well as adaptive responses to environmental cues in plants. This
group has three teams as detailed below, and each team is now
recruiting applicants for the positions.

1. Growth Regulation Research Team (Yuji Kamiya)
This team will develop a comprehensive, high-throughput plant hormone
analysis system that will be the most sensitive in the world. We look
for one or two young post-doctoral researchers who have identified
natural products by using GC-MS and/or LC-MS.

l This system will be 10 to 1000 times more sensitive than
conventional methods. We will analyze hormones in plants by
collaboration with (specific analysis) and on a service basis for
(general analysis) plant science communities.
l We will study the relationships among hormones and secondary
metabolite biosynthesis by using mutants and transgenic plants
produced by RIKEN.
l We will develop a highly selective isotope-labeling system in
plants and use the system to study hormone biosyntheses, metabolome,
and protein modification.

2. Dormancy and Adaptation Research Team (Eiji Nambara)
This team will study seed dormancy and the plant's adaptive responses
to changes in environmental conditions. Because abscisic acid (ABA)
plays a key role in these processes, we will focus on the study of
ABA metabolism and signaling. We look for one or two post-doctoral
researchers who work on this project. Applicants require a PhD degree
and research experience either in plant molecular biology,
biochemistry or natural product chemistry. These positions are
available immediately, or as soon as possible.
l We will search for novel genes and chemicals that regulate ABA
metabolism in Arabidopsis. To evaluate the usefulness of knowledge
from Arabidopsis genetics in agriculture, we will conduct a
comparative study of ABA metabolism among crops and cereals.
l By using genetic and genomic approaches, we will investigate how
ABA directs metabolic flow in order to adapt to environmental changes.
l To identify the key genes in the regulation of hormone-related
metabolism, we will use forward-genetic and reverse-genetic
approaches in combination with the compiling of current genomic data.
We will focus on the elucidation of novel gene functions related to
adaptive responses.

3.Cellular Growth and Development Research Team (Shinjiro Yamaguchi)
This team will investigate how key metabolic pathways for
growth-promoting hormones are regulated in plants. Candidates for two
Research Associate positions are searched. The successful candidate
will hold a PhD degree, have research experience in plant science,
and be familiar with natural product chemistry, molecular genetics,
plant hormone biology, biochemistry or seed biology. We seek highly
motivated scientists in conducting interdisciplinary research on
growth-promoting hormones, with an ability to work in a collaborative
environment.

Research theme:
l Identification and characterization of new enzymes and regulators
in the gibberellin metabolism pathway: we take advantage of the
hormone analysis system which will be developed by the Growth
Regulation Research Team
l Manipulation of hormone metabolism pathways for modifying plant
growth and development in a stage- and organ-specific manner
l Search for unidentified metabolic pathways and new signalling
compounds by utilizing comparative genomics, transcriptomics, and
metabolomics technologies

Besides Research Scientists/ Associates who directly belong to the
team and are to be engaged in specific projects above, independently
proposed themes related to our theme will be also considered.  It is
recommended that candidates apply for JSPS (for foreigners
http://www.jsps.go.jp/english/index.html or Japanese
http://www.jsps.go.jp/j-pd/main.htm) or RIKEN Special Postdoctoral
Researcher (SPR; for Japanese only
http://www.riken.jp/r-world/research/research/h18kiso.html).

For informal inquires, please contact
Yuji Kamiya (ykamiya at postman.riken.jp); Growth Regulation Research Team
Eiji Nambara (nambara at postman.riken.jp); Dormancy and Adaptation Research Team
Shinjiro Yamaguchi (shinjiro at postman.riken.jp); Cellular Growth &
Development Research Team

Dr. Yuji Kamiya
Plant Science Center, RIKEN
Laboratory for Cellular Growth & Development
Suehirocho 1-7-22, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Japan
230-0045
Tel +81-45-503-9661
Fax +81-45-503-9662
E-mail: ykamiya at postman.riken.jp