[Arabidopsis] Post Doc and Graduate Student Positions in Vascular Development

yhelariu at mappi.helsinki.fi yhelariu at mappi.helsinki.fi
Fri Sep 9 07:21:54 EST 2005

1 Postdoctoral Research Associate &
1 Graduate Student

invited to join the European Young Investigator Program (EURYI by ESF);
Wood Development Group
University of Helsinki

We are investigating the molecular basis of vascular development in
Arabidopsis root using genetics and functional genomics as approaches. We
have established the role for cytokinins in controlling vascular
morphogenesis (Mähönen et al. Genes Dev 14: 2938; Inoue et al. Nature
409:1060) and shown that  ALTERED PHLOEM DEVELOPMENT (APL) locus is
required for proper vascular tissue identity and codes for a transcription
factor (Bonke, Thitamadee et al. Nature 426: 181). In addition, we have
recently carried out genetic screens resulting in identification of
several new informative mutants affecting procambial development and
provascular stem cell maintenance. To complement forward genetics, we have
also initiated a microarray based reverse genetics approach to analyze
candidate genes from our vascular cell-type-specific transcriptome dataset
(see our www page).
	Consequently, we want to investigate whether the molecular
components identified in Arabidopsis likewise regulate development of the
vascular cambium of a tree. As a support for this hypothesis, we have
recently identified that cytokinin signaling components are active in the
cambial zone of a Populus tree.
        We are looking for two enthusiastic scientists to join our team to
characterize new factors of cytokinin mediated vascular development/phloem
development in Arabidopsis/Populus. Several project scenarios are
possible, some of them quite advanced. These positions will be filled for
a minimum of two years at the earliest from 1st of October 2005 and at the
latest 1st of September 2006. The salary is between 1700 and 2500
Euros/month depending on qualifications and previous experience.
Applications are considered beginning September 2005 and are taken until a
suitable candidate is found.

To apply, please contact me either by email, mail or phone:
Dr. Ykä Helariutta, Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Institute of
Biotechnology, POB 56 FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
More information from www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/plant/helariutta/,
by email (yhelariu at operoni.helsinki.fi).