[Arabidopsis] traveling with Arabidopsis seed (fwd)

JESSICA M MCABEE jmmcabee at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 8 15:24:17 EST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:13:16 -0400
From: Jim Tokuhisa <tokuhisa at vt.edu>
To: jmmcabee at u.washington.edu
Subject: traveling with Arabidopsis seed

Dear Jessie,

Will you be traveling domestically or overseas?  With international travel
there may be issues of traveling with a phytosanitary certificate.  It would be
worthwhile to check regulations of the country you will be traveling to by
contacting the embassy.  I would underscore Terry's recommendation of a letter
from the head of your department describing the plants as research material and
with a request that the plants not be subjected to any penetrating radiation or
that the sterility be breached by opening the plates for (a useless visible)
inspection.  I don't know if I would put the plates into another container as
it might be easier for the plates to get jostled around and the agar to break
up. I would be more concerned about the effect of traveling on the experimental
viability of the plants on the plates.  In terms of the drastic environmental
changes you will be subjecting the plants to, it would be better to ship the
seeds and the plates separately and plant them at your destination.

Happy travels,  Jim

--
Jim Tokuhisa, PhD

Assistant Professor
Department of Horticulture
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, Va. 24061

tokuhisa at vt.edu

Office:  306E Saunders Hall
Phone: (540) 231-5365
FAX:  (540) 231-3083

Office:  309 Fralin Phone:  (540) 231-5653
FAX:  (540) 231-7126

Lab:  215 Fralin Phone:  (540) 231-0914