[Arabidopsis] Follow-up to "Fungicide alternative to benomyl"

Zack Nimchuk znimchuk at its.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:31:05 EST 2005

Hello all,

I thought I would post some of the replies/suggestions from people I got so
far as this question has been posted in the listserve before:

1) The Ecker lab has previously used Daconil from Ortho in the TDNA project
to prevent extra fungus from growth on MS plates.  I think that we made a
stock of 200ul into 100ml and then used 1ml per plate.

2) I've routinely used 0.1% (w/v) Plant Protection Mixture (PPM; Austratec
Proprietary Limited) and it seems to work well.

3)  Benomyl that is available as a reagent might be suitable - it runs about
$80/250 mg and is available from Sigma as well as from ChemService (their
price list was a dead link, so I don't know if they are cheaper).

Expanding on #3 There is a 25 g sample of Methyl
1-(butylcarbamoyl)-2-benzimidazolecarbamate (aka Benomyl) from Sigma for
$114 US. If you use benomyl at 50 ug/mL in plates and culture then that
sample should give you  500 L of culture media which is pretty good.

4) A suggestion to try  the fungicide Carbendazim (one of its many trade
names is DEROSAL) and suggestion to try Ridomil Gold (not clear if these
last 2 have been used).

Hope this info helps.

Cheers, Zack

Zachary Nimchuk