[Arabidopsis] RE: What is the different between the plasmid...

Charles S. Gasser via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by csgasser At ucdavis.edu)
Fri Dec 1 14:36:08 EST 2006

>guo shukui writes:
>
>Does any one know the difference between the plasmid
>that used to express protein in E coli and that used
>for Agrobacterium to transformate plants?

In answer to your direct question - certainly many of us know this.
But I am guessing that you want more detail. There can be an infinite
number of differences, but these are the components required for the
two different types of vectors:

E. coli expression vector must have - E. coli origin of replication,
E. coli selectable marker, Gene for expression must have E. coli
promoter:E. coli Ribosome Binding Site: Open reading frame for
protein to be expressed:E. coli transcription terminator

Plant transformation vector must have - Broad range origin of
replication that works in Agro, Agro selectable marker, T-DNA border,
plant selectable marker, [if you want a gene expressed in the plant]
plant promoter, coding region (that can contain introns), poly
Adenylation site, another T-DNA border (or the same one as before can
suffice to transfer the whole plasmid).

Best wishes,
Chuck Gasser
arab-gen moderator