[Arabidopsis] Post doc position in phloem development

yhelariu at mappi.helsinki.fi yhelariu at mappi.helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 8 11:44:26 EST 2006

Dear Curator,

I thought I had already sent the following ad yesterday, but this may not
have happend. Therefore, if you had already received it once, may I ask you
to ignore this one. Otherwise, may I ask you to post it.

With best wishes,

Yka Helariutta
-----------------
1 Postdoctoral Research Associate

invited to join the European Young Investigator Program (EURYI by ESF);
Wood Development Group
University of Helsinki

We are investigating the molecular basis of vascular development in
Arabidopsis root using genetics and functional genomics as approaches. We
have established the role for cytokinins in controlling vascular
morphogenesis (Mähönen et al. Genes Dev 14: 2938; Mähönen et al. Science
311: 94) and shown that  ALTERED PHLOEM DEVELOPMENT (APL) locus is required
for proper vascular tissue identity and codes for a transcription factor
(Bonke, Thitamadee et al. Nature 426: 181). In addition, we have recently
carried out genetic screens resulting in identification of several new
informative mutants affecting procambial development and provascular stem
cell maintenance. To complement forward genetics, we have also initiated a
microarray based reverse genetics approach to analyze candidate genes from
our vascular cell-type-specific transcriptome dataset (see our www page).
	Consequently, we want to investigate whether the molecular
components identified in Arabidopsis likewise regulate development of the
vascular cambium of a tree. As a support for this hypothesis, we have
recently identified that cytokinin signaling components are active in the
cambial zone of a Populus tree.
         We are looking for an enthusiastic scientist to join our team to
characterize new factors of phloem development in Arabidopsis. We have
recently identified several informative mutants and genes through forward
genetics and functional genomics. The position will be filled for a minimum
of two years at the earliest from 1st of May 2006 and at the latest 1st of
October 2006. The salary is around 2500 Euros/month depending on
qualifications and previous experience. Applications are considered from
now on until a suitable candidate is found.

To apply, please contact me either by email, mail or phone:
Dr. Ykä Helariutta, Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Institute of
Biotechnology, POB 56 FIN-00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
More information from www.biocenter.helsinki.fi/bi/plant/helariutta/,
by email (yhelariu at operoni.helsinki.fi).