[Arabidopsis] Postdoc Position

Erin Connolly erinc at biol.sc.edu
Tue Jan 24 10:32:36 EST 2006

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION
University of South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina

A postdoctoral research position is available immediately to study the
regulation of metal uptake in Arabidopsis.  We are studying the
regulation of the Arabidopsis genes IRT1 and FRO2, which respectively
encode the major high affinity iron transporter and the inducible ferric
chelate reductase enzyme responsible for iron uptake from the soil.
Previously, we determined that IRT1 is subject to post-transcriptional
regulation by metals (The Plant Cell 14(6): 1347-1357); evidence
suggests that IRT1 may be subject to metal-induced ubiquitination and
removal from the plasma membrane.  We also have shown that expression of
FRO2 is regulated post-transcriptionally by iron (Plant Physiol.
133:1102-1110).  Our current studies are designed to elucidate the
molecular mechanism(s) controlling regulation of IRT1 and FRO2 by
metals. A thorough understanding of the regulation of the iron uptake
machinery will be essential for the creation of food crops with enhanced
nutrient content.

A Ph.D. and a background in molecular biology and genetics are required.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, CV, reprints or
preprints and the names, addresses and FAX numbers of three references
to Erin Connolly, erinc at biol.sc.edu, Department of Biological Sciences,
Coker Life Science Bldg., University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
29208. Telephone (803) 777-8753; FAX (803) 777-4002.  Email
applications/inquiries are preferred.

--
Erin L. Connolly
Assistant Professor