[Arabidopsis] [BAR News] AtGenExpress Abiotic Stress series now viewable in eFP Browser

Nicholas Provart nicholas.provart at utoronto.ca
Mon Jun 19 10:04:54 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

We have added the AtGenExpress abiotic stress expression data set to our
'electronic fluorescent protein' browser, to permit a more intuitive
exploration of gene expression response for any one of ~22810 Arabidopsis
gene under cold, osmotic, salt, drought, genotoxic, oxidative, UV-B,
wounding and heat stress. We believe that the eFP browser provides a
convenient overview of gene response, as well as an improved understanding
of the experimental set-up for the data set. For instance, plants grown for
this series were grown under a day-night light cycle, imposing in some cases
a diurnal pattern of gene expression response on top of any stress response.
In addition, some stresses were applied continuously over 24h, while others
were temporarily applied.

The URL remains the same at http://bbc.botany.utoronto.ca/efp/, however a
new dropdown menu has been added - select the Abiotic Stress data set.

A couple of new features have also been added to the eFP browser, including
a representation indicating where the maximal expression level of your gene
of interest lies in relation to the average level of expression across all
genes.

We are grateful to Drs Klaus Harter (University of Tuebingen), Lutz Nover
(University of Frankfurt) and Pascal von Koskull-Doering (Goethe University)
for feedback in developing the eFP browser. The gene expression data were
generated by their labs, and the project was funded by the Deutschen
Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).

Any comments are appreciated, either by email, or in person: drop by our eFP
browser poster in Madison. Debbie Winter, who created the eFP Abiotic Stress
series for the eFP browser, is an NSERC summer scholarship recipient.

Best regards,

Nick
Nicholas Provart, PhD
Assistant Professor, Plant Bioinformatics
Director, Program in Proteomics and Bioinformatics
Rm 3051, Dept. of Cell and Systems Biology, Uni. Toronto
25 Willcocks St., Toronto, ON. M5S 3B2. CANADA

Tel. (+1) (416) 978-7141, Fax. (+1) (416) 978-5878
URL. http://www.botany.utoronto.ca/faculty/provart/
Arabidopsis Webtools. http://bbc.botany.utoronto.ca
email. nicholas.provart at utoronto.ca
TTC. Spadina LRT, Willcocks St.