[Arabidopsis] Re: mCherry RFP in plants

John Runions jrunions at brookes.ac.uk
Fri Mar 10 13:15:18 EST 2006

Dear Zhi-Liang,

We routinely use mRFP in co-localization studies with GFP in Nicotiana
leaves.  What Zeiss confocal do you have? We use LSM 510's to excite the
red fluorescent proteins. Neither mRFP or mCherry (excitation 587 /
emission610) are optimally excited by the 543nm laser but they do work.
You would be better off using the 561nm laser (which I think is the
closest one to 587 that Zeiss supply... could be wrong).  Ultimately, I
don't think you can predict how bright the RFPs will be in your system
without trying them.

Good luck, John.