[Arabidopsis] How many complete plant genome sequences are there?

Carl Douglas cdouglas at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 15 01:36:40 EST 2006

The 480 mb genome sequence of poplar (Populus trichocarpa) can be viewed and
is briefly described at:
This was a collaborative project, with most of the data generated by the US
DOE (JGI/ORNL), University of British Columbia/Vancouver Genome Sciences
Centre, Umea (Sweden) Plant Science Center, and University of Gent
Bioinformatics & Evolutionary Genomics group. Others were involved in gene
annotation, EST sequencing, etc.

This is currently the only completed plant sequence in addition to
Arabidopsis and rice.

A manuscript describing the poplar sequence and its analysis is in
preparation, but this will probably be too late for your paper. You might
want to check out a recent paper on Populus ESTs (Sterck et al. 2005. New
Phytol. 167:165-70) from which inferences on poplar genome evolution are

Carl Douglas
Carl J. Douglas
Professor and Head
Department of Botany