[Arabidopsis] Insertion phenotype due to chromosomal translocation??

Hongyong Fu via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by hongyong At gate.sinica.edu.tw)
Fri Nov 17 03:58:57 EST 2006

Dear all: We recently got a gametophyte defect phenotype (50% abortion)
which is only associated with heterozygous T-DNA insertion.  Wow! It looks
like a dominant negative effect associated with insertion!  However, before
we are too excited, there are reports indicated that a T-DNA insertion
possibly causes a reciprocal translocation.  And, when a homozygous
translocated T-DNA insertion plant crosses to a wild-type plant which will
cause gametophyte abortion in a ratio about 50% (both male and female).  Is
there a simple way to rule out our phenotype is not due to reciprocal
translocation of chromosome caused by T-DNA insertion.  Thank you for your
advice in advance.

Hongyong Fu

Associate Research Fellow

Institute of Plant and Microbial Biology

Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan

Tel: 886-2-27892392