[Arabidopsis] Are the seeds from WT type At plants trandformed byfloral dip called T1 or T0?

Y Jiang via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by jiangyqcn At hotmail.com)
Tue Nov 21 23:40:47 EST 2006

Here are the replies I got concerning my question.
It seems that I am right: The seeds harvested from WT Arabidopsis plants
transformed by floral dip method are called T1(contain both WT and
trasngenic seeds), which, after planted, produces T2 seeds.

Thanks those who kindly replied my mail.

Jiang

I think this is an area of confusion in many people's minds - we had
numerous arguments on this point while I was in grad school. I think there
are three points to remember - 1) the seeds on a plant are always the next
generation from the plant itself, 2) the seed and adult plant it becomes are
the same generation, and 3) the only T0 is the parent plant that is
transformed. Thus, T0 plants get transformed and make T1 seeds. T1 seeds
germinate to make T1 plants and generate T2 seeds and so forth. This naming
convention is consistent with the idea of F1/F2 or M1/M2 plants. In all
three cases (F1s post cross, M1 post mutagenesis, T1 post T-DNA insertion),
the generation labeled as "1" will be heterozygous/hemizygous for the
gene/mutation/T-DNA of interest. In each case, you have to wait for the "2"
plants to see the recessive phenotypes. And in each case you have to wait
for the third generation to confirm that a given phenotype is no longer
segregating.

Hope this helps,
Ben
--
Ben Holt
Assistant Professor

These are T1 plants, also known as primary transformants. The next
generation is a segregating T2 population.

Sincerely,

Michael Neff

I am interested in seeing the responses you get to your query to the
newsgroup. I have also noticed that not everyone uses the T0 or T1
generation naming system of transgenic plants uniformly.

My current understanding is that the seeds/plants generated using the Agro
floral dip method are referred to as T1's, while transformed plants
regenerated from tissue culture are referred to as T0's. I am not sure this
naming system is correct, but it is what I have settled on  based on what
others have told me.

What puzzles me, is what is the rationale for this difference in naming. Why
is T0 the appropriate name for the original transgenics generated from
tissue culture, when T1 is used for the original plants generated using in
planta transformation methods?

Please let me know what you find out.
Thanks,
Roger Thilmony

Plants that are treated with Agrobacterium are called T0. Transformed seeds
from these plants are T1.  The progeny of these T1 plants (which will be
segregating the transgene 3:1) are called T2 plants.

Scott
--
Scott Poethig
Paul Williams Family Professor