[Arabidopsis] Science and Technology Policy Opportunity for Graduate Students and Post-Docs

Joanna Friesner jdfriesner at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 2 14:21:01 EST 2006

CHRISTINE MIRZAYAN SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY POLICY

GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM, WASHINGTON, D.C.

This Graduate Fellowship Program of the National Academies-consisting of
the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering,
Institute of Medicine, and National Research Council-is designed to engage
graduate and postdoctoral students in science and technology policy and to
familiarize them with the interactions among science, technology, and
government.  As a result, students in the fields of science, engineering,
medicine, veterinary medicine, business, and law develop essential skills
different from those attained in academia, which will help them make the
transition from being a graduate student to a professional.

We are pleased to announce that applications are now being accepted for
the 2007 sessions. The program will comprise three 10-week sessions:

Winter: January 8 through March 16
Summer: June 4-August 10
Fall: September 17 through November 21

Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars and those who have completed
graduate studies or postdoctoral research within the last 5 years are
eligible to apply.  Candidates should submit an application and request
that a mentor/adviser fill out a reference form.  Both forms are available
on the Web at <http://national-academies.org/policyfellows
<http://national-academies.org/policyfellows%3e> >.

The deadline for receipt of application material is November 1 for the
winter program, March 1 for the summer program, and June 1 for the fall
program. Candidates may apply to all three programs concurrently.

Additional details about the program and a link to join the mailing list
are available on the Web site. Questions should be directed to:
policyfellows at nas.edu.

A sampling of comments from alumni about the impact of the program:

"This is an important career building opportunity for people interested in
the scientific community outside academia.  Even if you plan to pursue a
traditional academic track, seeing science from a policy perspective is
very enlightening.  There is something valuable in this experience for
first year grad students to recent PhD's.  Come with an open mind and
expect to learn more than you bargained for."

"This program will open your mind to a world rarely envisioned from the
confines of laboratory bench work. I learned an immeasurable amount about
the policy and politics behind science and after the fellowship opens your
mind, it opens career doors."

"Just ten weeks in the S&T policy world in DC substantially broadened my
perspective on how I can use my engineering background to positively
impact our society. I return to graduate school recharged about the value
of advanced education, and more confident about my decisions to pursue
studies that blend the boundaries of engineering and the humanities. I
feel like I have much new knowledge and understanding to share with my
fellow graduate students as well as my professors. No matter what field of
study you are pursuing, there is no reason not to apply for a policy
fellowship. By seeing the connections between your academic field and the
public policy arena, you will find many new opportunities for future
studies or careers. You will be enriched as a person, as a public citizen,
and as a member of an academic community."

 "A really great experience for those from the "soft sciences" who have an
interest in S&T policy or if you're trying to figure out what else you
might want to do outside of academia. This was a great opportunity to
bridge the gap and gain a new understanding and appreciation for how it
all works, the people involved, and the profound difference it can make in
the end (and all long the way)."