[Arabidopsis] Re: problems with growing healthy Arabidopsis plants

Terry Delaney via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by terrence.delaney from uvm.edu)
Mon Feb 19 10:55:54 EST 2007

Dear Dr. Kuzma,

I read your note about growing healthy Arabidopsis plants.  I have a
few suggestions.

You may be fertilizing the plants too much.  I would suggest either no
fertilizer if your soil mix already has fertilizer amendments, or use
of half-strength Hoagland's solution once every one or two weeks (in
addition to watering when necessary).

In addition, top watering is a nuisance for the plant caretaker and is
also hard on the plants; sub-irrigation is much easier on both.  The
flat that holds the pots can be filled to about 5 cm water, and in 10
minutes, the soil will absorb as much water as it will hold.  Then
decant the excess liquid to prevent waterlogging the soil (which
stresses the plants and can lead to disease problems).   When the pots
start to feel lighter in weight, then is a good time to water (usually
every 3-4 days).

You might also check to be sure that the temperature is not over 22°C,
as at higher temps the plants have poor pollen (and thus seed and
silique) set.   Also, if plants in growth chambers are grown over
fluorescent lamp fixtures from the shelf below, the bulbs can heat up
the soil and stress the plants, even if the air temp is cooler.

Good luck!

Terry Delaney

Terrence P. Delaney, Ph. D.
The University of Vermont
Department of Plant Biology
326A Marsh Life Science Building
Burlington, VT 05405-0086
Phone: (802) 656-0416; Fax: (802) 656-0440
E-mail: Terrence.Delaney from uvm.edu
Lab website: http://www.uvm.edu/~tpdelane/lab/