[Arabidopsis] PhD fellowship at Max-Planck Institute

Ivan Galis via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by igalis from ice.mpg.de)
Sun Jul 1 06:37:25 EST 2007

PhD fellowship at Max-Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology

I am currently seeking for a PhD student with previous training in the
field(s) of plant molecular biology, plant physiology and/or ecology who
is interested in working in a vibrant international research environment
at Max-Planck Institute (MPI). Please send your CV; list of
qualifications  and research interests, names, email-addresses of 3
references who have first-hand knowledge of your research skills and
evidence of your English language skills to:

Dr. Ivan Galis
Group Leader
Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Ecology
Department of Molecular Ecology
Hans-Knöll-Str. 8
D-07745 Jena
Germany
Email: igalis from ice.mpg.de

About the department
The laboratory is located in the Department for Molecular Ecology (
http://www/itb/home/home_en.htm ) at Max-Planck Institute for Chemical
Ecology in Jena (Germany). The main research focus in the laboratory is
the dissection of molecular and ecological mechanisms involved in
plant-insect interactions, using tobacco (Nicotiana attenuata) model
plant, and Manduca sexta as a model insect. We have developed an
efficient silencing system based on virus (VIGS) and rapid
transformation method for N. attenuata, as well as we have efficient
molecular toolbox for this plant. The resources available in the lab
include, for example, custom microarrays for tobacco, several LC-, GC-MS
systems, large greenhouse facilities for experiments with transgenic
plants and excellent conditions for work with herbivorous insects. In
addition, our "successful phenotypes" with silenced target genes can be
tested for ecological performance (fitness) and insect resistance in the
natural habitat of N. attenuata in Great Basin Desert of the USA in Utah.

About the project
I am looking for a PhD student who will work with transcription factors
and other regulators putatively involved in the signal transduction of
herbivore signal(s), activating direct and indirect defenses in tobacco
plants. We have isolated several candidate tobacco genes that are
rapidly induced at transcriptional level upon herbivore attack and with
jasmonic acid treatment. The PhD candidate should prepare virus induced
gene silencing (VIGS) plants with these genes and test the role of these
genes in herbivore resistance using closed greenhouse conditions.
Positively tested regulators will be used to construct stable inverted
repeat-silenced plants, analyzed for changes in gene expression using
microarray systems and quantitative RT-PCR, changes in metabolic
profiles, growth, response to hormones and other parameters. The most
successful plant genotypes will be eventually tested in the field
station in Utah.

Fellowship
We offer an initial 1-year contract that is extended to a total 3-year
PhD project, providing adequate performance of the student within the
first year of study. The studentship is 1000 EUR/month and includes
other support, e.g. low-priced bus tickets and low-budget accommodation
in the student dormitory.

Selection procedure
Applications will be reviewed periodically and the position will stay
opened until suitable candidate is found. The position can be filled
immediately after the appropriate candidate is selected. The Max-Planck
Institute is an equal-opportunity employer and students of all
nationalities are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.