[Arabidopsis] Graduate Student and Postdoc Position in Strawberry Genomics

Folta, Kevin M. via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by kfolta from ufl.edu)
Sat Jul 28 07:50:01 EST 2007

***Positions Available Now***

The Rosaceae Family is composed of many valuable fruit, nut and ornamental crops.  Despite their value, little is known about the molecular mechanisms that govern traits of interest to agriculture or basic science. The genus Fragaria (strawberry) contains rapidly-cycling species with minuscule genomes that are relatively easy to transform. We are leveraging the capacity of strawberry and Arabidopsis as functional surrogates to illuminate the roles of novel expressed genes in the Rosaceae family.

The project is founded on developing a large suite of overexpression and RNAi constructs from our Gateway-based libraries.  The ox and RNAi lines are introduced to strawberry and the ox lines to Arabidopsis for phenotypic analysis. The ideal candidate will have experience in tissue culture and molecular biology, but most of all will have a keen understanding of plant development and physiology. This project is an ambitious mix of high-throughput transgenic generation and careful phenotyping.

The work will be conducted in the Horticultural Sciences Department www.hos.ufl.edu at the University of Florida in association with the Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Program http://pmcb.ifas.ufl.edu/ .  Our laboratory has exciting ongoing projects in photomorphogenesis using the arabidopsis model, while maintaining active programs in strawberry functional, structural and translational genomics.

The PI's on the project are Kevin Folta (www.arabidopsisthaliana.com) and Tom Davis (www.strawberrygenes.com).  Please contact Kevin Folta (kfolta from ifas.ufl.edu) for more information.