[Arabidopsis] postdoc position

Tai-ping Sun via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by tps from duke.edu)
Mon May 21 13:48:04 EST 2007

Postdoctoral Position in the Dept. of Biology, Duke University:

A postdoctoral position is available immediately to study
"Gibberellin Signaling in Arabidopsis."

Gibberellin Signaling in Arabidopsis:

Bioactive gibberellins (GAs) are a class of plant hormones that
modulate diverse developmental processes throughout the life cycle of
a plant.  The nuclear DELLA proteins are highly conserved negative
regulators of GA signaling that act immediately downstream of the GA
receptors GID1 to repress GA-mediated growth in Arabidopsis and in a
number of crops.  GA signal appears to de-repress its response
pathway by triggering degradation of these repressor proteins.  DELLA
proteins may function as transcriptional regulators, although their
direct targets have not been identified.  Elucidating the signaling
events immediately downstream of DELLA is key to our understanding of
how GA controls plant development.  By microarray analysis and
chromatin immunoprecipitation, we identified several direct target
genes of DELLA proteins. Using biochemical and reverse genetic
approaches, we are currently investigating the roles of these DELLA
targets in modulating GA responses.

Related publications:

Dill et al. (2004) The Arabidopsis F-box protein SLEEPY1 targets GA
signaling repressors for GA-induced degradation. Plant Cell, 16,
1392-1405.

Sun and Gubler (2004) Molecular mechanism of gibberellin signaling in
plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 55, 197-223.

Fleet and Sun (2005) A DELLAcate balance: the role of gibberellin in
plant morphogenesis. Curr. Opin. Plant Biol. 8, 77-85.

Griffiths et al. (2006) Genetic characterization and functional
analysis of the GID1 gibberellin receptors in Arabidopsis. Plant
Cell, 18, 3399-3414.

A background in protein chemistry, genetics, molecular biology or
plant development is desirable.  If you are interested in applying,
please send (by e-mail) a curriculum vitae and names, e-mail
addresses, and phone numbers of three references to:

Tai-ping Sun
e-mail address: tps from duke.edu

Thanks,

Tai-ping Sun
Professor
Department of Biology
French Science building Rm 3104, Box 90338
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708
USA

TEL: (919)-613-8166