[Arabidopsis] Graduate school at UNC Chapel Hill

Copenhaver, Gregory P (Biology) via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by GCopenhaver from bio.unc.edu)
Mon Nov 26 09:54:59 EST 2007

UNC at Chapel Hill has a strong group of plant biologists working on a
broad array of topics including: plant pathogen interactions, meiosis,
signal transduction, hormone regulation, paleobotany, development,
phylogenomics, and ecology.  Students interested  in our doctoral
program should apply through the Biological & Biomedical Sciences
Program.  See below for program details.

The Biological & Biomedical Sciences Program at UNC

It's an exciting time to be a biologist. As you consider your options
for the future, we would

like to urge you to consider our graduate program in Biological &
Biomedical Sciences Program

(BBSP) at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Our graduate program is an outstanding environment for students seeking
a world-class

education. Graduate training through the BBSP will prepare you for
careers that require expertise

in the life sciences in academia, government agencies, or industry.
Students who have received a

Ph.D. in our participating programs go on to post-doctoral fellowships
in top labs, and go on to jobs

at top universities and colleges, as well as leadership positions in
industry. You will be able to

choose from more than 330 faculty in 12 participating PhD programs to
find a match for your

particular research interests. Our faculty are conducting cutting-edge
research in a wide range of

biological problems using an array of systems that span a wide taxonomic
range of organisms,

computational approaches and theoretical modeling. Graduate training is
supplemented by a

cutting-edge curricula and departmental seminars that bring in renowned
scientists from many fields

to meet with faculty and graduate students. Students within the program
follow a course of study

that is tailored to the specific needs of each individual. Areas of
particular strength within the

BBSP include: 1) Biology; 2) Cell & Developmental Biology; 3) Cell &
Molecular Physiology; 4)

Neurobiology; 5) Molecular Cellular Pathology; 6) Biochemistry &
Biophysics; 7) Toxicology; 8)

Microbiology & Immunology; 9) Pharmacology; 10) Bioinformatics &
Computational Biology; 11)

Biological chemistry and 12) Genetics & Molecular Biology. Our program
also has superb

opportunities for graduate education in interdisciplinary science that
spans these and other areas

including Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology.

You can learn more about the BBSP program, and how to apply at our
website:

http://www.med.unc.edu/bbsp

In addition to the outstanding academic atmosphere offered at UNC, the
Research Triangle is also

home to two other major research Universities, Duke and NC State, as
well as the biotechnology

and pharmaceutical companies in the Research Triangle Park, creating a
scientific community that

is truly outstanding. Furthermore, Chapel Hill is a great place to live.
Recently, the A & E channel

recognized Chapel Hill as the #2 city in their "Top Ten Cities to Have
it All" and Money magazine

rated the town as the #1 "Best Place to Live in the South." We are
located three hours from the

Atlantic coast to the east and three hours from the Blue Ridge Mountains
to the west, allowing

access to a wide variety of recreational activities. As we like to say,
here the sky is always Carolina

blue.

If you have any questions about our graduate program, feel free to
contact me or any of our other

faculty.

On Behalf of the BBSP Faculty,

Dr. Gregory P. Copenhaver