[Arabidopsis] postdoctoral fellowship in developmental genetics at University of British Columbia

George Haughn via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by haughn from interchange.ubc.ca)
Wed Oct 24 00:20:29 EST 2007

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION IN ARABIDOPSIS DEVELOPMENTAL GENETICS

available at the

UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA

VANCOUVER, CANADA

We are seeking a well trained, highly motivated and enthusiastic molecular geneticist to study cell wall biosynthesis in the seed coat of Arabidopsis (see Haughn G and Chaudhury A, 2005, Trends in Plant Science 10: 472-477).  During differentiation, the seed coat epidermis secretes copious amounts of mucilage (pectin) into the apoplast, followed by the production of  an extensive secondary cell wall. We are using this cell type as a model system together with forward and reverse genetic screens to identify genes involved in this process  (Western et al., 2000, Plant Physiology, 122: 345-355; Western et al., 2001, Plant Physiol.127: 998-1011; Western et al., 2004. Plant Physiol.134: 998-1011). Recently, microarray technology has been employed to detect changes in gene expression during seed coat differentiation. The successful applicant will make use of this information and reverse genetic technology to identify candidate genes involved in the biosynthesis and secretion of cell wall components.  Additional information concerning the laboratory, our department and Vancouver can be found at our Web site: http://www.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/index.htm.

Applicants must have expertise in genetics of Arabidopsis thaliana and well developed skills in molecular biology techniques. Experience with cell wall microarrays, biochemistry, enzymology, protein expression and/or cell biology would be highly desirable.  The position is available January 1, 2007 for an initial period of one year, with a possibility of extension for a second year subject to satisfactory performance and availability of resources. If interested, please send, by E-mail, a cover letter outlining research experience and interests, a curriculum vitae, and the names and phone numbers of three referees by November 15, 2007 to Professor George Haughn, Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Blvd., Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z4, Canada; TEL (604) 822‑3554, FAX (604) 822‑6089; E‑mail: haughn from interchange.ubc.ca.

In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.  UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity.  We encourage all qualified persons to apply.

George Haughn, Professor
Botany Department,  University of British Columbia
6270 University Blvd,  Vancouver, BC  V6T 1Z4,  Canada
Tel:  604 822-9089
http://www3.botany.ubc.ca/haughn/