[Arabidopsis] wrap up on RNAi question

Dr. James J. Campanella via arab-gen%40net.bio.net (by james.campanella from montclair.edu)
Tue Sep 4 08:03:20 EST 2007

What I found most interesting about the responses that I got about my
RNAi questions were that many researchers responded that RNAi is a
bit old hat and not very specific-- especially when trying to knock
down single genes from large families.

I was referred by several different people to Detlef Weigel's work
with artificial micro RNA constructs.

<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=16531494>http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=16531494

Most of the researchers who responded to me suggested that Weigel's
work actually simplified the process of knock-down and was much more
specific than RNAi.  I was also referred to Weigel's website
(http://wmd2.weigelworld.org/cgi-bin/mirnatools.pl) which has a
myriad of online tools to aid in design of amiRNA for 30 different
species of plants.

Weigel's work actually brings up another question.  He has
successfully used the Arabidopsis microRNA precursor miR319a for
knock down, but are there precursors available for Medicago-- which
is the system I am working in presently?

Thanks,

Jim

James J. Campanella,
Associate Professor,
Department of Biology and Molecular Biology
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043

Alternate email address: jcamp from alumni.uchicago.edu

Ph: 973-655-4097
Fax: 973-655-7047